Do I Tip My Dog Walker During The Holidays?
Are you as giddy as I am during the holidays? I literally start prepping for the holidays in July and am known to have Christmas music blaring during a 107 degree heat wave in August. I think I’m avoiding the question as I usually start to sweat…like full on perspire when someone asks, “Do I need to tip my dog walker during the holidays?” Back to my stalling tactic…it has been a privilege to care for pets for over 12 holiday seasons. I digress…I need to answer… Do I have to tip my dog walker or pet sitter during the holiday season? Is a gift expected as a pet sitter?
First and foremost, that is incredibly kind. During the busy holiday rush to even think about a gift or tip for your dog walker or pet sitter is nice! I sweat & perspire with this question as we certainly don’t expect tips as dog walkers and pet sitters. It is always appreciated. My inner Mrs. Claus a-la-Emily-Post has a little go-to guide if you chose to bless your dog walker or pet sitter.
7 Best Holiday Gifts For Dog Walkers And Pet Sitters:
1. Cash tips – you can never go wrong good ol’ money and a nice note.
2. Burt’s Bees Lip Balm – did I tell you we work outdoors? Lol. Your lips get CHAPPED as a dog walker and pet sitter during winter months. I may have 11 tubs of chapstick and will use every.single.one come spring time!
3. Fingerless gloves that are also mittens are great when holding a leash!
4.Gift cards – whenever a walker or sitter spends the gift card, they will think of you! Amazon gift cards are popular and so are Starbucks gift cards.
5. Hand Cream – your hands get equally as chapped as your lips during winter months. Extra lotion is always appreciated!
6. A thoughtful note is always appreciated. I have saved many of the kind notes I have received even from a decade ago. Clients are like family and it’s nice to get the warm fuzzy feeling that you are doing a good job for someone’s family.
7. Food – You can’t go wrong with chocolates! Just make sure your furbabies don’t get into it.
Truly though…it’s the thought that counts. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to make someone feel special or important. A kind word or note goes a long way.
Wishing you the best holiday season and Happy New Year,
Founder & Co-Owner
[There are affiliate links in this post. The affiliate links will not cost you extra. My dogs, Pork Chop & Apple Sauce, and my co-owner’s dog, Mr Bear, do receive a small commission if you chose to purchase any suggestions. They are dog treat lovas & like to have a treat-slush-fund.]